Oct 17, 2008

Pumpkin Pancakes!

In honor of fall and October, I decided that this morning I was going to make pumpkin pancakes!! They were delicious! I made the batter the night before, threw it in the refrigerator and this morning pulled out the griddle and it was easy! Topped with confectioners sugar and some fresh raspberries and blueberries, it was a meal to savor!!

Bowen, who is not the biggest breakfast eater had 4 pancakes!! Judd who eats more than Bowen also devoured a ton himself!

I am inspired in the fall to bake and cook different things, next week I am making pumpkin roll, one of my seasonal favorites! Tradition in our house is pumpkin rice crispy treats (not made with pumpkin) They are shaped like pumpkins and I color them orange, tootsie roll serves as a stem, candy corn for the eyes, and an M&M as the nose, these are fun to do with children!

In the background of this picture is the recipe book Deceptively Delicious. It is an awesome book for parents who's children have an aversion to veggies and other nutritional foods. The thought is, if you puree veggies and add them to your recipes then your family will still get the nutrients from those veggies. I will be honest, I was a bit skeptical at first...I thought that we would have to add tons of sugar to hide the taste of the veggies, and what would the point of that be? I certainly did not what to fill my kids with sugar just so they could eat broccoli. Much to my surprise, this book is very health conscious, using things like flax seed and stone ground wheat, it is a much healthier approach to cooking than I have ever done.

So this week was grocery week, and I decided to give it a whirl! I have come to realize I love this book. It did take me a while to find all the ingredients in the grocery store and getting used to the idea of pureeing and freezing will take some time, but I think it will be so much better for my family, and so far all 3 of my biggest food critics have not noticed a thing!! Pretty awesome when you think of brownies made with pureed spinach, Hugh???



This morning was the best morning to break out the pumpkin pancakes, it was raining with a chill outside, we have the windows open and are enjoying the rain and each other! Savoring the few hours we have until life gets busy again, rehearsal dinners and such tonight! I think my sis-in-law and her kids may come over and we can keep in good company, all enjoying the rain together. Not to mention the perks of wearing the kids out with some good family playtime, and then nice long naps for tired mommies!!! :)

5 comments:

Fibia said...

When are we getting together?

Anonymous said...

I am sad I missed this fun day of pancakes. Please, pretty please, invite us for rice krispie day!!

CiCi said...

I need to purchase this cook book for my 64 year old boy...sounds both delicious and nurtitious...by the way... your photos look good enough to eat!

Anonymous said...

I have contemplated buying this book many times, but Stephen is skeptical. Hmmm....so it's worth it? Your pancakes look yummy...better than IHOP, I must say!

Anonymous said...

O my gosh! I want this book so bad! I know its for kids but I love the idea of sneaking stuff in your food! Seriously, if I cooked, I'd be feeding Brad good stuff behind his back all the time. Those pancakes look awesome!
yum!